In 1845, a building for a schoolhouse was erected two miles north of Roanoke by the Wesley Chapel. Another school was built on the hill on Main Street, near Sixth. The old frame building was moved to the corner of High and First Streets to make room for Roanoke’s first masonry school building. This building was used until the fall of 1925. The brick building burned in a mysterious fire on May 14, 1926. A new school was opened on September 8, 1925 built on farmland donated by Marvin Richards. The brick and concrete structure on Vine Street, 183 feet long by 147 feet wide could accomodate up to 300 students. The auditorium was 68 feet by 70 feet with a 34-foot ceiling and with movable seating that could seat 1,000 people.
The old building was in service for nearly 100 years. The current building was finalized in 2019 with the hopes of serving the public for the next 100 years.
Source:
Roanoke Libary